> Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 16:28:52 -0700
> Subject: SATA DVD drive on PCI/SATA controller?
> From: boneheads...@gmail.com
> To: g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
>
> hey all!  i've been using an ACard 6290M PCI/SATA controller in a QS
> for a while now, and it works beautifully with a 1TB Seagate (boot
> disk) connected.  but i just tried to connect a Pioneer DVD/CD drive
> w/ SATA interface to the second SATA port on the ACard, and it is not
> recognized, and it makes the video all glitchy when i boot from the
> SATA HD on port #1.  all the latest drivers and firmware updates from
> ACard were already installed.  the optical drive is good, because it
> works if i run it thru a SATA/USB2 bridge.  even tho i have a USB2
> card w/ an internal USB2 port, that is not a permanent solution
> because the USB2 will limit xfers to a maximum of around 12MB/s
> (approx 8x DVD speed).  does anyone know of a PCI/SATA controller that
> will work with both SATA HDs and SATA optical drives?  thx.

I've been using a FirmTek SeriTek/1S2 in my MDD and a Sonnet SATA ( which from
all the reports I've seen is a rebranded Seritek anyway ) in my DA for two
years now.
My MDD has a 75Gb Raptor hooked up to it with OS10.4.11 and I also tried one of
my friends SATA Matshita optical drives too just because I could. It booted a
Tiger disk just fine but I didn't do any extensive testing preferring my
already installed Pioneer Superdrive instead.
One problem I encountered was that the Raptor would not fire up or be
recognised if I used the SATA cable but if I connected it via the standard 4
pin Molex power cable - no problems. I tried a couple of these other cables too
that I borrowed from a friend and none of them worked. I had him come around
and we were able to test it with his multi-meter and all the correct power
outputs were there so I still don't know the problem.
You also don't tell us the model drive. Some of the older ones came with an
IDE/SATA bridge that can be problemmatical. Newer ones don't.
Some PCI SATA cards can have hard drives attached to them but you cannot boot
from these drives as well - just something to be aware of.

Stewie