On Jun 13, 2010, at 6:16 PM, Bill Connelly wrote:

On Jun 13, 2010, at 8:43 PM, Elliott wrote:

I'm posing an interesting question to this group about a G5 tower.
It usually doesn't power on; it just sits there and flashes the power
LED on the front 3 times, pauses, 3 times etc. I looked this up on
Apple, and it means incompatible RAM. However, after removing all the
RAM and putting in known good, compatible RAM, it still does the exact same thing, flashes the front LED 3 times, pause, etc. Occasionally it
boots, but then it shuts down right when it's loading the desktop or
soon after that. I know that it's not: The OS, the HD, the videocard,
the RAM. I've reset the PMU, removed the PRAM battery and AirPort card
as well.
So, what does everyone think? Power supply? Motherboard? Some other
problem...?
I'm inclined to suspect the power supply, but you never know. Would
love to hear everyone's thoughts here.
Thanks,

Maybe a bad ram slot, or dusty one?

Does the RAM have to be installed in exactly matching pairs? Thought I read that in a recent thread about G5s ...

no experienced with G5s as yet ...

What model PM G5 do you have? the RAM does have to follow a protocol upon installation in some of them.

John Carmonne
Yorba Linda USA
From Earl Cube 1.2 GHz