Try creating another user account and log in under that account to rule out
issues with the account that you are currently using. Also, what OS are you
running? I haven't been following this that long so I am unsure if this was
answered previously, however, if you are running an Intel Mac and are using
10.6.2, it has a known usb issue that I ran into here primarily with USB
thumbdrive which is what that device essentially mimics for the install files.
It would cycle in and out repeatedly with certain devices, not all would do
this. 10.6.3 fixes this issue, am unsure if this behavior is shown anywhere in
10.5.