On Jun 15, 2010, at 4:50 PM, Peter Haas wrote:

On Jun 15, 2010, at 12:25 PM, Len Gerstel wrote:

Is it any wonder that the OSx86 crowd is operating Snow machines which cost one-fourth, yet deliver four-times the performance?

In the same form factor as the mini?

Of course not.

But who, in reality, really cares about form factor.

A famous quote

No wireless. Less space than a Nomad. Lame.

This is referring to the Nomad MP3 player compared to the first iPod. You see how many Nomads are out there today. Pure specs killed that Apple attempt at an MP3 player called the iPod.

Form factor and user interface do matter to a lot of people. The noise and heat generated by my DA with Dual processors (both Apple dual 533s and OWC 1.2s is significantly higher than the mini with an external dual HD enclosure. Since my computer room is right next to the kids bedrooms and I use it mostly at night when they are asleep, the form factor (and resultant noise) played a part in my decision to get the mini.

A generic Dell box built by the lowest bidder will have better specs, but how much is Dell spending on OS development? Remember, Apple is a software company. The hardware is just the (officially) only way to run the software.

One usually cares about price/performance.

That is why there is everything from the Minis to the dual quad core pros. And most of the comparisons I have seen over the last couple of years place most Macs not too far off of equivalent quality name brand windows boxes. Sometimes cheaper, sometimes more, but almost always within a reasonable amount.

Ask Bruce how many boxes of band aids he has used over the years working on various low cost (but brand name) windows boxes compared to Macs.

Len