We are on a very limited income, and have only recently been able to get
high speed internet were we live. For me, it is $5 per month to rent a
modem, and on ebay, about $10 to BUY a modem.

Even if that modem were to break every few months, it would still be cheaper
than renting. I would NEVER pay over $20 for a modem, for two reasons. You
can get cheap modems on ebay, and modems do break, and unless you have an
insanely fast connection, you probably are not ever going to be bottlenecked
by the cheapest modem out there.

-Jonas