At 10:45 AM -0700 7/8/2010, john CARMONNE wrote:
My Backup drives are becoming a bit of a chore to keep track of and offsite online backup is very tempting, However I'm a liitle afraid of some company deciding how my drives should be copied and exactly what access is afforded.. Does anyone use this service for Mac's and what company is a good one? I like the Time Machine method the best but CCC will boot so I redundantly do both.

Offsite == Good.  Just rotate your backup drives.

Online == Bad. Your fears are spot on. There are NO NONE ZERO online backup services that are going to guarantee your privacy, do anything to protect your privacy in the face of a law enforcement inquiry, or a hacker with two brain cells, or even do much to guarantee your data integrity. Even if you pay the big bucks, all those risks are still present. If you google around for such services, read their T&C. Mostly it's about you indemnifying *them* and them being totally NOT liable for anything!

The above being said, there was some discussion/review of various services on TidBITS a while ago. Check it out. <http://db.tidbits.com/>

CCC's help has some directions for rotating volumes. Basically you set it to only check the volume name and not the volume's UUID also. That way today you plug in drive #1, and next week you use drive #2 - and as long as they have the same volume names on them, you're good to go.

IMO, a friend's sock draw is the best "offsite" localle. Work out a trade dealio, you stash his and he stashes yours. To be really save tho, make sure his home is outside of your blast radius.

HTH,
- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.