CCC has served me pretty well since whenever i use time machine my video
card draws lines all over the screen and freezes until I exit out of time
machine.

My suggestions are:

1) Never use online backup, because the storage volume could be thrown away
or bought out by another company
2) Use a local disk or a network drive within your network to backup
information, so you can take care of it and never have to worry about a
company being bought out and moving to another country.
3) Delete old backups to save space unless you have certain files you need.
Take out those files, and delete everything else.
4) When backing up, back it up to a Mac or a Linux computer, because if you
back up to a PC, you'll wind up not being able to access the data next week
through the network due to some blue screen of death crap.
5) Always buy the largest sized HDD your budget can allow, because backups
can be sometimes larger in size than expected. If you can, be patient for
the shipping process and look for an online deal. In fact, I found a 1TB
external HDD from best buy online only for $99.99.

 Sent from my Power mac G4 Sawtooth.