Hello,
There is a JAVA program called "Electric VLSI Design System" which might be of interest. There is also BRL Cad. I do not know how well they work on Linux.

On Jul 10, 2010, at 2:45 AM, Mac User #330250 wrote:

----------  Original message  ----------
Subject: Re: Goodbye Power Macs! Or: Linux on Power Macs
Date:    Dienstag 06 Juli 2010N
From:    Doug McNutt <dougl...@macnauchtan.com>
To:      g3-5-list@googlegroups.com

Are there any open source options for decent computer aided design - circuit boards, electronic schematics, and some machine drawings - available for Linux? I keep looking and even compiling but I haven't found anything I can afford. Yeah. . there are things like Pro-Engineer which are way out of my
price range.

KiCAD may be what you are looking for. It's available for Windows, Linux and,
probably via Fink or MacPorts also for Mac OS X.

http://iut-tice.ujf-grenoble.fr/kicad/ – Authors' homepage.
http://kicad.sourceforge.net/ – at SourceForge (a Wiki basically).

You may find others. Most Linux distros will have some free CAD applications
in their corresponding repositories. I'd look there first.

Other sources include the Open Directory, like at dmoz.org:
http://www.dmoz.org/Science/Technology/Electronics/CAD/Electronic_Design_Automation/PCB_Design/

Problem will probably be that you cannot open your MiniCAD/ Vectorworks files with other CAD software. But isn't there a way to use AutoCAD DXF files? They
are a defacto-standard, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoCAD_DXF