Eric Volker wrote:
On Sun, 2010-07-11 at 21:09 -0500, Dennis Myhand wrote:

I once put Yellowdog on a G-3 266MHz. It looked and worked like Linux on a PC of that speed. When you have access to OS-X why in God's name would you want to put Linux on a G-5? OS-X is what happens to Linux when you pay the programmers! Since I bought my little G-4 DA I haven't touched Linux and don't intend to. Why would I? I have a beautiful, fully functional, UNIX system that will do what I want, when I want, and I don't have to finish any of the programs for my "situation." Am not understanding this. Peace, Dennis

I have three main reasons for wanting to run Linux on my G5. Firstly, as
someone else said I want an OS with recent software and updates.
Secondly, I want a server class OS that I can set up services like NFS,
Samba, rsync, DHCP and DNS without paying Apple for the privilege of
well as being a pain to deal with (or at least so I've heard). Thirdly,
I like tinkering with computers and Linux, which I've been using on an
amateur basis since the 1990's. This G5 was semi-retired, and sat in the
living room only occasionally playing music, movies or music.

If you have a need for these daemons and have no desire, or cannot afford, to pay for the OS, then Linux is about your only choice. And, it does work well on older hardware.

I've successfully loaded Ubuntu 10.04 PowerPC 64-bit on my G5, and so
far it's doing well. I haven't had much time to experiment, but have a
basic desktop loaded. Unlike the x86 version, there is  no hardware 3d
graphics acceleration or eye candy, though the desktop is still
attractive in a 2d fashion. Totem won't play video unless launched from
the command line (?!?), audio was a bit tricky get to my external
speakers (as opposed to the internal speaker.) It's been a much better
experience than Fedora, which I never could get to the desktop.

This is exactly what drives me nuts about Linux. Something will not work unless you jump through this hoop, then this one, then these two over here. Good luck, Dennis

Eric