On Jul 14, 12:40 pm, Kris Tilford <ktilfo...@cox.net> wrote:
> On Jul 14, 2010, at 12:30 PM, Jeffrey Engle wrote:
>
> > I'm really hoping that somebody chimes in on this because I have the
> > same question.
>
> Software RAID works on any matched pair of HDs, internal, external,
> whatever you have. Mirroring is mirroring, so this means if you screw
> up the software so that it won't boot, the "mirror" will also be
> screwed up.

This should not be an issue, as the only thing on the mirrors will be
the iTunes music folder (assuming iTunes still let's one choose the
location.)  The OS and apps will still be on the Mini's internal
drive, and if it gets hosed, it is easily restored from the original
disks.

>Apple's official solution to backup is Time Machine, which
> has the advantage of "going backwards in time" to get to a state that
> was known good. Theoretically this makes a Time Machine backup more
> robust and preferable to a mirror RAID backup. Time Machine requires
> Leopard.

Thank you for the information.   I will want to come up with some
removable back up strategy as well, but Time Machine isn't it.  I'm
considering BDR.  The blanks are down to about $1 each now.   DVDR is
still cheaper in $/GB, but one needs about six times as many disks.
Sigh.  I *liked* DAT, but the capacity is just too small now and the
newer higher capacity stuff is too expensive still.

Maybe I'll start a backup thread later.