At 12:42 PM -0700 7/13/2010, t...@io.com wrote:
Does the Mac OS X included RAID feature work with USB2 external
drives?  Would it be usable (not too slow).

I'm building a home music server out of a G4 Mac Mini running Tiger
and was going to get one external 2 GB drive to sit under it in a
MiniStack case, but then I started thinking about back up, and
realized I might like to run mirrored drives.   So I could add a
second drive and MiniStack and just make the stack a little higher,
but I've never done RAID on anything but internal drives.  I think it
should work, but I'm not sure.

RAID is a way of creating a disk pool that offers either higher performance or higher availability (or sometimes both).

RAID <> Backup -- ever.  See Kris' reply.

A Mirror is NOT backup. Mirrors offer better performance for *reading* data, because the user's read request can be spread across multiple devices. But since all writes must be replicated to each drive they are *slower* than a regular configuration AND all data errors (corruptions, deletions, etc) are immediately replicated.

Use a RAID array where you need performance or availability.

AND use a normal backup scheme to protect your data.

- Dan.

--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.