On Jul 25, 12:48 am, Kris Tilford <ktilfo...@cox.net> wrote:
> Also, PPC Macs are dead-in-the-water, so rebuilding your old PC into a
> Hack wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea. It may be pretty cost
> effective to leapfrog the liquid-cooled G5 in performance and also
> have Intel compatibility going forward, not to mention no leak
> possibility.

Yeah, I know PPC is dead-in-the-water—all of my Macs (except for a 68k
PowerBook 180) are PPC. Nonetheless, I'm not too worried about it—if
it can word process, print, connect to our wireless hotspot, watch TV,
and possibly turn our VHS and HI8 tapes into DVDs, it's all good.

Actually, the PC isn't going to be a hack. It'll be running Ubuntu—
next best OS after Mac and iOS—with MythTV. Trouble is, it doesn't
exactly go with the decor, and it doesn't have much room for upgrades.
Also, I am a little nervous about unleashing Linux upon a very PC and
Mac household.

Thanks for the info about the coolant—I'll have to let someone know
about that so they can turn it back on (it's been shutdown for the
summer).