On Jul 25, 2010, at 12:16 PM, ah...clem wrote:

> eric, - did you not read the original post?
>

> are you saying a used intel mini is going to radically outperform the
> late 2008 iMacs that Austin mentioned?  don't think so.  if you've got
> an app that utilizes altivec effectively, the latest intelmac still
> cannot beat a quad G5.  why else would a 4 year old quad G5 still
> command $1000+ on the used market?

Yes, I did read the original post, I also read what the OP wants to do with
said machine.  He wanted opinions and thoughts, so I shared mine.  I have a
3.06 Ghz Late 2009 iMac in my office at work, and yes......it is faster than
the quad G5's.  A friend of mine has one, and while they feel about the same
navigating through the OS and doing an average workload, the Intel beats out
the G5 hands down on anything CPU intensive or graphics intensive.

I'm not saying the Intel Mini will radically outperform anything, but load Snow
Leopard on an Intel and watch it soar compared to Tiger or Leopard.  The catch
I've found with it is that an "upgrade" usually results in disaster.

The latest Intel Macs use the Core i5 and Core i7 processors.  They WILL beat
out a quad G5.  The quads still command $1000+ on the used market for several
reasons.  For one, they were the fastest PPC machines made, and there are still
situations where PPC is required.  We keep PPC machines around at work for that
very reason, some of our programs don't run well on Intel machines due to their
age and reliance on older operating systems.  They're also popular with people
who want a faster computer than what they have, but don't want to shell out for
a new one.  I'm personally one of these kinds of people which is why I have a
2005 model G5.  Sure it's old, but it's plenty fast to do what I want with it
and to the untrained eye, it still looks like the mac Pro, just without the 2nd
optical slot.  They're stylish, they're powerful, and they hold their resale
value.

That said, getting back to the OT and in regards to the OP, for the things he
wants to do, it seems like a better use of time, space, and financial resources
to get a computer the size of a CD wallet that will do everything he wants to
do and more.

Just my own $.02