----------  Original message  ----------
Subject: Re: G5 2.7 upgrade to Quad Core?
Date:    Sonntag 25 Juli 2010N
From:    Mark Sokolovsky <coolmar...@gmail.com>
To:      g3-5-list@googlegroups.com

> There is a very slim chance this will work, as it all depends on whether
> the processor is compatible, the CPU bus speed, and if the machine will
> accept it. I tried putting a dual 500Mhz in my other 400Mhz sawtooth, and
> no luck came around.

For Power Mac G4s check the UniNorth chip revision. If it is 7 or greater, you
can put in a dual processor card, provided it is for the right bus speed or if
you modify the multiplier on the processor daughter card.

See:
http://www.newertech.com/tech_support/uni-north.php

> I'm not saying it's impossible, i'm saying I have had too many instances
> where something like this failed. The warning is, to not waste money on
> something that won't work. try before you buy.

Power Mac G5s up to the “Eary 2005” use PowerPC 970 and PowerPC 970FX
processors, whereas the “Late 2005” models introduced the Dual-Core PowerPC
970MP. I doubt that system boards for the 970/970FX will handle a Dual-Core
CPU at all. Even more, I would be worried if a 970FX CPU will work on a system
board made for the original 970 G5 CPU.

Also, I couldn't find any source of wisdom that would state how to modify the
system bus speed and if a processor card from a different model will fit in
any other model that easily.

Even more so, the cooling systems on the “Late 2005”s are different to those
used in earlier models, so you would have to modify the Quad “Dual-Dual-Core”-
CPUs to run on a Dual-2.7 cooling system – or modify the system board and
casing of the Dual-2.7 to fit a Quad liquid cooling system.

Be aware that the system board of the “Late 2005” is very different to the
earlied boards. Prior to the “Late 2005” they used PCI-X and AGP, the ”Late
2005” then introduced PCIe (PCI-Express, not at all compatible with PCI/PCI-X
and AGP). The “Late 2005” uses a CPC945 chipset, whereas earlier models use
the CPC925 chipset (at least the “Early 2005” does — I'm not sure about the
2003 G5s). It will/would not be so easy to found out if the CPC925 chipset can
actually handle a Dual-Core 970MP processor.

And still – IMHO – I seriously doubt that earlier system boards will accept a
Dual-Core processor.

Cheers,
Andreas  aka  Mac User #330250