On Jul 25, 11:25 am, "ah...clem" <boneheads...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 25, 1:48 am, Kris Tilford <ktilfo...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > Anecdotal evidence says that the liquid-cooled G5 need to run
> > 24/7/365, and the more often they're shutdown the quicker they have
> > issues with the coolant causing corrosion and leaks. The coolant needs
> > to circulate in order to prevent the corrosion problem.
>
> that concurs with the stories i've heard.

Jumping in a bit late here, as Austin has already made his decision,
but I would like to point out a hidden cost of computer ownership:
electricity!

PowerMac G5s, at idle, consume 140 to 185 watts of power, depending on
the model.
Mac minis at idle, on the other hand, consume 10 to 23 watts of power
-  with the current C2D consuming the least!

How much does running a computer that sucks an extra 175 watts 24/7
out of your local electric utility cost you?

If you are paying 13 cents per kilowatt hour, two hundred dollars a
year. Every year.