On Aug 16, 2010, at 9:08 AM, artemis wrote:

Thanks everybody for your advice and input -

I now feel way better informed to make a choice and am going drive-
shopping this week . . .

Dan, I tried setting up a clone and booting it from a couple of my USB
externals using the option key as you suggested - in my case, the
drive appeared in the list -
but when I selected it, it wouldn't launch (even when left for a half-
hour) - not do-able with those particular external cases, I guess!
If the USB drive is fully powered up by an external power supply and it shows in the option list and boot fails I really don't think it's the fault of the enclosure. I do this on my G4 PM MDD's with any USB drive I grab as long as it's externally powered up. I think maybe the CCC is funny. If you have OS9 on your machine you can check this by booting USB with a powered drive from OS9 the startup disk preference.

JOHN CARMONNE
Yorba Linda USA
From TiBook 800