I have several of these workhorses, and one of them has just started
behaving badly today.

The fellow who uses it decided to move it from his desktop to the
slide out shelf inside his desk, and everything started going downhill
from there.  First, he was getting a system error on startup.  Then,
it would startup, get as far as the stage where the extensions start
to load, and freeze.

I replaced the PRAM and zapped the PRAM, and now it starts up, very
very slowwwwwwwwwly.  We're talking 15 minutes here.  I just put in
the Norton Utilities disk to see if running speed disk would help, but
I'm having the same problem starting up from the CD.  It takes a very
long time.

Did he somehow toast his hardware?  Do I maybe have a RAM problem?
Any advice is appreciated.  TIA