I have a PowerBook G3 (Pismo, 500mhz, 1GB RAM) which has been running under
10.4 for some time. Recently, though, I've noticed some disk-related
problems which I could use some help with.

The first problem appeared during an update for Office 2004. Like most
installers, it popped up a dialog that it would be running a program to
detect a suitable installation disk. When it came to that point in the
install, however, do disks were shown, greyed out or otherwise. I have
attempted to repeat this installation, even going so far as to download a
new copy of the update, with the same issue.

The next problem came when running Apple's Software Update.  Basically, the
progress bar gets to about 25% and stops updating. I've allowed this to run
for hours with no further progress.

Finally, in an attempt at resolving the first two problems, I ran the "Onyx"
utility. Onyx hangs, however, while determining the SMART status of the
drive.

In order to fix the problem, I've tried the typically recommended fix of
booting from the Tiger Install DVD, running Disk Utility and doing a Repair
Permissions. Although a lot of permissions were fixed, the problems
persisted with the next reboot. Interesting, it may be my imagination, but
it seemed to take Disk Utility a long time to identify my disk.

At this point, I'm starting to lean toward a failing hard disk (40 GB
Hitachi TravelStar), but I was wondering if anyone had any other advice or,
at least, pointers to an error log I could check (dmesg shows nothing
useful).

Thanks.

John