The icons are located in System -> Library -> CoreServices ->
CoreTypes.bundle -> (Show Package Contents) Contents -> Resources

You will see a number of .icns for various Mac models.  There is a
generic com.apple.mac.icns that looks like an iMac but is actually a
monitor, that one often gets substituted if a specific icon is not
available. Also, for some reason, the iMac G4 15 is often substituted.
Figure out which icon shows up in your sidebar and change its name to
something else, or move it somewhere else. Then pick out one that
looks most like your computer (for example, in place of a TiBook 800
you might pick the ibook g4 or the macbook pro icon). Change the name
of that icon to the name of the one your system was using. Reboot and
enjoy.