On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 1:09 AM, Kris Tilford <ktilfo...@cox.net> wrote:
> ... but now the model of the Mac and the serial # of the Mac
>  were placed into a file (I assume a binary info.plist that's not easy
>  to locate or edit) ...

A somewhat related digression for the original topic ... Editing a
binary info.plist can be (easily IMO) done with the Property List
Editor app included as part of the XCode Integrated Development
Environment (IDE).

The entire IDE is a "free with registration" albeit rather large
download from the Apple site. I think but do not know that it is
included on the  Leopard and Tiger retail DVDs. Not sure whether it is
on the install media included with a Mac. I never looked.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xcode

Perhaps there are also other (binary) property list editor apps out
there. I never bothered to look since the Apple provides has always
been more than sufficient for my needs.

FWIW,

-irrational john