Hello!

I would recomend to look at the open-firmware(reset nvram, reset-all). But
since you have no option of inputing text into the console (perhaps it would
work with a bluetooth keyboard), try resseting the PMU the hard way (via
battery on the logic board).
The reason why I think that firmware is causing problems is that other
devices (such as mice) are working in the same USB slots). Perhaps part of
the firmware got corrupt. Anyway, try pulling the battery out of the logic
board (look for the instructions on the Apple web site).

I hope that will help.
                                           Matevž Markovič