On Oct 23, 2010, at 11:19 AM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

> On Oct 23, 2010, at 8:48 AM, Stephen Conrad wrote:
>
>> What were the HDs for the Apple and early (Plus, SE, etc.) Macs?
>
> There was a very expensive 5MB "Winchester" hard drive for the Apple II
> series,. I don't remember what the interface was, but believe it was
> proprietary.
>
> The first Apple hard drive was a serial drive that connected to the Appletalk
> port on the original Macs. I believe it may have been SCSI on the inside.

It was probably ST-506 on the inside, that was the most common interface at the
time.  Many of the early external SCSI drives were ST-506 with an adapter.

There were three types of HD drives available for the Mac 512K (and possibly
the 128K) before the Apple drive using the floppy port came out.  There was a
drive using the serial port (it didn't use AppleTalk, it used a proprietary 1
MBPS protocol.  There were a couple of SCSI interfaces that used the battery
compartment door for the 50 AMP SCSI connector.  And of course there was the
HyperDrive, the "really cool" one which put the drive inside the case (and more
load on the power supply)

> For all Macs from the Plus on, until the advent of IDE drives, they used SCSI.

Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA
Macintosh / Internet Consulting