From: Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
Sender: g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 11:41:22
To: <g3-5-list@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Apple inside?

On Oct 24, 2010, at 10:34 AM, Alex Barnes wrote:

>> The thing is Motorola/IBM did deliver on a PPC
>> solution that had a low energy power footprint drastically lower then
>> anything Intel had and that Blew even the top G5s out of the water
>> but
>> it came a few months too late because Apple in their impatience
>> jumped
>> too soon and ended up with a mediocre solution all because they could
>> not push back a release date on new laptops. (snip)
> The switch to Intel was a smart move because it enabled the Macs to
> dual boot Windoze and in turn it brought in a lot of sales. Also, I
> like the Intel CPUs because even the weakest ones were faster than
> the G5s. My 13" MBP has waaaaaaaay better benchmarks than the last
> Powermac G5.

Apple moved to Intel because they finally had a partner big enough to
produce large numbers of cutting edge CPUS  and do so with Apple as a
major customer in mind.

Apple is now one of Intel's top 5 customers. They were never more than
a sideline to Motorola or IBM. The Cell CPU wouldn't have made much
difference as a laptop cpu; if it did, MS would have come out with a
portable XBox a long time ago.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona