On Oct 24, 2010, at 10:47 AM, schaf...@comcast.net wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "James Therrault" <jetas...@netzero.com>
 but I still think that Apple dropped the ball with
regard to option to power sucking G5 chips for laptops.  Neither IBM
or Motorola could do it but maybe a special arrangement with other
Intel competitors to work on a low power PPC such as AMD could have
proven fruitful. Power technology is now way up there with regards to
clock speed supporting multiple cores.

Just my 2ยข worth...

JT

(Curses on Comcast for not setting the "quote" function.)  8^P

AMD does not do PPC.

No but they could have under a subcontract.  It's done all the time.

Apple's decision to do Intel, particularly for laptops, was sound. It let them compete with "PCs".

It was because Motorola could not deliver a low-energy, powerful footprint. Intel is undeniably better at that!

As a G4/G5 participant, I lament the loss of g4/g5 technology, but I understand the move to Intel.

Moving to an Apple-produced processor also is intriguing. Let the good times roll...

- Peter