On Oct 28, 2010, at 4:32 PM, admin wrote:

I like this model a lot. The Zip drive, if still there, and Zip CAGE can both be removed, creating more open space inside for running cables, SCSI, ATA or SATA. It seems to run cooler and quieter than a MDD I had for a short time.

The QS 2002 dual 1.0 GHz is an exceptionally reliable machine, perhaps more reliable than any successor machine (Mirror Door, et. al.).

The QS 2001/QS2002 Zip drive carrier requires simple modifications to accommodate an HD in place of the Zip, and the QS 2002 ROM will accept any LBA48 drive (500 GB, say) on the optical bus, as it will on the HD bus, and the QS2001 and the Digital Audio can very easily made to do so ("LBA48 Property Script").

There are no significant reliability issues with the PSU of the DA, QS 2001 nor with the QS 2002.

The motherboards are essentially the same, differing only in certain changes to accommodate the changes in overall functional specifications. 1.5 GB maximum RAM in all.

I have retired my several DAs, "just because", and I have replaced all with a single QS 2002 dual 1.0 GHz, and have augmented these by certain generic machines (LGA 775 AND LGA 1156) which have been adapted to run 10.6.4 using the usual techniques.

My most reliable machine is a Shuttle SP35P2V2 (P35 Northbridge/ICH9- R Southbridge) with an nVidia 8400GS video card and a Dell/Broadcom 4318 Airport-compatible WiFi card, running MacOS X 10.6.4 with ALL software updates.