Need help understanding webcam differences

Picture this on your G4, the webcam local picture is just not clear - reason is
400k vs 4M pixels. A 640x480 pixel image printed at a size of 6.4 x 4.8 inches
has a printing resolution of 100 PPI, just look at several public webcam sites
to see which cams produce very clear, brilliant color, well lit images, but
then here is my question.

The kids wave to us, their hands moving rapidly in the wave, but all we see is
a blur or with some cameras, the wave area pixelates, but the remainder of the
pix is clear. What is the cause of this?

Can the Apple tablet or phone camera appear on my G4 and will it be any better?

Determined to have good webcam on my G4, but locked out by
Apple application that refuses to let me use my cameras.

Any ideas appreciated,
JML