On Nov 2, 2:05 pm, "Alex Smith (K4RNT)" <shadowhun...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've never liked Western Digital's stuff, I had a round of lemons from
> them back in the 90s.

Every drive manufacturer sells a round of lemons at some point.

Maxtor made some 120 MB (that's MB, not GB) drives that failed just
out of their one year warranty fifteen years ago.   We had forty of
them at my office at the time.

IBM had the "Death" stars (Deskstar).

Seagates 1.5 TB drives may qualify, and check out the feedback on
their low-end 2 GB drive at Newegg.  Of course, one doesn't know if
those hundreds of failures are out of 2000 or 200,000 sold....

I'm sure Hitachi has had a lemon at some point, but I've only ever had
one or two of their drives, so I missed it.

I tend to stick with Seagate these days.  Their five year warranty
won't save my data, but it means they have more motivation to put
effort into quality control than a company offering a three year
warranty.

Jeff Walther