DVD, Webcam, Pix, and Images: why are they soooo different

I continue to delve into the various differences on my several Mac
presentations.

When viewing a DVD, even in FULL SCREEN presentation, the picture is perfect,
not a pause or flicker to be found. When I view a "canned video" downloaded
from the internet and presented in Quicktime, Real, or Windows Media, we have
pauses and disruptions even at small sizes.

Allowing the video to fully download to the computer then showing it makes no
major difference, but does cure some minor presentation issues.

So, what is the difference between a video downloaded and now resident on the
computer and a DVD being read from a disk?

Why aren't these presentations the same or nearly so?

I do understand that if the processor is spending time to service the download
at the same time it is required to spend time slinging it to the screen, their
will be a slow down, but once the video is downloaded, why aren't the DVD and
Video the same quality?

Hope you can explain this apparent difference.

JML        G4, 10.4.11, 450MHz, 512Mb, stock DVD player, DSL line.

"I'm a designated FREE SPIRIT HITCHHIKING on the Information Super Highway"