On Nov 25, 2010, at 4:36 PM, Jonas Lopez wrote:

> If I could download the same exact file content via the web, would it play,
> once resident on my computer, so no processor time is being shared, every bit
> as good as the DVD does at 450 MHz!!!

yes you could...but downloads would be correspondingly  HUGE.

Small-file sizes == greater compression == more work to decode.

Less compression == less work to decode == huge file sizes.

Also, MPEG2 is encumbered by licensing fees. This is why you have to purchase
the MPEG2 encoder separately for Quicktime Pro.

--
Bruce Johnson

"Wherever you go, there you are" B. Banzai,  PhD