Although I discussed this briefly in an earlier topic on this list,
I'm about ready to break down and buy a DVD drive for my Rev. A Beige
G3. This came about because I recently ran across the much-sought-
after Bordeaux personality card, one of the ways to allow DVD video
playback on this machine. I'm in the position, however, where I might
have a couple of options, so I'm looking for some input.

Because the onboard Rage II+ graphics can't handle much beyond the
lowliest of 1997's 3D offerings, I tossed in a 16mb Rage 128 PCI card
(the one that came with the B&W G3s) several months ago. This card has
pin headers on it for a riser card that basically provides the same
hardware dvd decoding functionality as the Bordeaux, but because I'm
running the 128 on the slower 33mhz PCI bus, I'm not sure whether or
not that would be compatible. Has anyone ever tried it?

My third and final option is the software decoding approach, but I'm
not entirely sure that, even after throwing in a 400MHz G3 and Rage
128, my system would be up to that task.

If it makes a difference, I have no intent on ever running Mac OS X on
this machine, so we're looking at the pre-OS X versions of Apple DVD
Player.

What do you think?