On Nov 17, 1:58 am, James Chapel <dragnero...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks to some research, I seemed to have significantly narrowed down
> my options.

> 1. IDE or SCSI DVD-ROM drive
> 2. SCSI DVD drives require Intech's CD/DVD Speed Tools drivers
> 3. ATI Rage 128 Pro* or higher video card
> 4. At least a G3 400mhz upgrade card for usable performance
>
> The *very* edge. This leaves the Bordeaux card and Apple DVD Player
> 1.x (Apple's update archives seem to indicate that 1.1 was the last
> version of this). Unless anyone has any input for/against the Bordeaux
> option (let alone has one, I sure haven't seen many around), I'll
> probably be opting for it over software decoding, because performance
> would likely be too close for comfort.

If you have a PCI slot available, consider a Wired4DVD card.   This
was a hardware decoder for OS9 which worked very well indeed.  If I
had a round tuit I could make you one out of a ReelMagic card, but I
just don't have the time, so you'd need to check the usual suspects.
BTW, I think xlr8yourmac.com did a review of the Wired4DVD and it
shoudl still be in their articles archive, in case you'd like more
info on the card.

Jeff Walther