On Nov 26, 2010, at 11:07 PM, Tom wrote:

OK Isaac. I'll probably try that too somewhere down the line. First I
thought I'd give DiskWarrior a go. I dug around in my disks and found
the DiskWarrior 3.0.2 disk, which has "for OSX" written on it in pen.
But I'll bet the last time I used it was for OSX 10.2 or something, a
long time ago. Dare I try it on Leopard 10.5?

Or, I see DiskWarrior 4.0 for sale for $100 on the Alsoft website, or
an upgrade for $50. Do you suppose v3 is upgradeable to 4.2? I can't
find anywhere on the site where it says what versions are upgradeable.

BTW I took this external drive and plugged it into the FW400 port of a
G4 eMac, and then a G4 dual 2.0, and it didn't show up on the desktop
of either one of them. However, as I said before, when this drive
turns on it spins up and does the little clickety-clack noises it
always used to just before it showed up on the screen. It just doesn't
show up anymore.

And my Time Machine external drive does show up on the desktop of the
G5, so I'm assuming that means that the FW ports of the G5 are OK.

Tom

That was going to be my next suggestion, try it on another machine.

If you had another enclosure, you could switch the drive in it. I'm pretty convinced based on your description of the "sounds" coming from the drive itself that it is probably fine.

I've had a lot of trouble in the past with enclosures failing even believing at one point that my G4's firewire was kaput. Then one day I decided to scan something with my firewire based scanner and it worked just fine.

Later, a Mac guru mentioned that you should always ensure that any enclosure has the Oxford chip set or trouble will be waiting down the road.

I ought to get one as I have about four "dead" (but good) drives laying around all of which came out of bad enclosures...

JT