On 12/1/10 8:43 PM, Deiniol ap Deiniol of autolycus.mercat...@googlemail.com
sent

> My latest Quicksilver is a 933 G4 with 1.5GB memory, running 10.4.11.
> I've installed  a 120GB first drive, along with another 120GB drive
> which was the Time Machine drive for the Leopard that came on its
> original 60 GB hard drive.
>  I fancy transferring the SCSI card from my 733 QS along with its
> 80GB  drive, with a view to either:
>  installing Leopard on it,
> or putting a Linux on there.
> Is this feasible. I've done a quick Google without really getting
> anywhere, but on this list there are people who know this stuff!
> Dan (in ice-bound North Wales)

Hello Dan,
I don't know if you received a response yet to this query, but perhaps I can
share with you my experience to date. Afaik, as long as the issue involves
PCI-based New World Macs (from the G3 smurfs to the earlier MDDs) and an OS
no later than Tiger, booting off of a SCSI hosted drive is quite feasible,
providing the firmware of the card in question supports it. In my case, I
was always able to boot into OS X and OS 9 by using the Adaptec 2930CU/
card, which were OEM-provided for many a G3 unit that I worked on. The
similarly designed 2930B card was mountable under OS X, but any drive
attached to it was non-bootable (hence the CU vs. B designation was quite
important). I am pretty sure there are other SCSI host cards made that do
this (by Initio and Orange Micro), but I have not had experience with such.

I will not say that your projected goal is not compatible with this card
(i.e. Leopard, or Linux, or using a PCI-based G5), but I have no experiences
with such scenarios to be able to speak of. Hope this helps somewhat.
Best regards,
Dana