On Dec 11, 2010, at 8:49 AM, Tina K. wrote:

> I've read the FAQ on the Fink project but I'm still not entirely clear on
> what exactly it is. Is it an operating environment a la Java, or an emulator
> like Virtual Box or Wine? Is it strictly a repository of ported apps with
> apt-get functionality, and if so why use apt-get instead of normal OS X
> installation? Or is it something else entirely?

It's a way of installing *nux-based applications easily, downloading source
code, managing prerequisites and dependencies, compiling and installing  all
the required libraries and dependent packages automatically, and doing it in a
way that Apple updates will not break the installed applications.

It is identical to what MacPorts (aka Darwinports) does; I think most of the
up-to-date stuff has moved to the MacPorts project, but I could be wrong. Fink
and Macports happily co-exist on a Mac, but you'll end up with duplicates of
things like the Gnome libs because each installs in it's own directory
structure.

All applications installed in this fashion either run on the command line or
via X-Windows; this is *not* a way of installing Mac-native ports of these
applications...if they have one of those, there should be standard Mac
installers for them.

--
Bruce Johnson

"Wherever you go, there you are" B. Banzai,  PhD