On 2010/12/11 15:26, Kris Tilford so eloquently wrote:
I believe MacPorts is preferable to Fink.

Fink wouldn't install, it didn't like my permissions even after repair.

You need to have X11 and the
Developer Tools (Xcode) installed. Then install MacPorts. MacPorts is
command line from Terminal.

I finally got it to work, apparently the postflight script wasn't creating a proper profile so I had to do it manually.

As a GUI similar to Software Update I've
been using Porticus, which is really nice and very simple to use.
Porticus is better than Software Update because it shows the entire
available software repository of MacPorts and allows you to select any
available software for installation or deletion.

My primary purpose for installing Macports was to get kTorrent but thank you for suggesting Porticus, I will give it a look.

It would sure be nice
if Apple would improve Software Update to have an uninstall/deletion
feature.

I have mixed feelings about that. I like the idea in concept but it would need to be implemented better than MS did in XP.

The problem with Apple is that if they decide to make an OS X software
repository they'll want to control it completely the way they try to
control iPod, iPhone, iPad software in iOS. Without any control
so-called bad-apples can introduce malware into the software
repositories, but with control Apple acts both as a gatekeeper and a
toll collector.

Yes I like the current setup just fine. I have a pretty good idea what apps I can trust and it's not too hard to get references on those that I don't know. I don't want an app nanny to decide what I can and can't install on MY Mac.

How long before the OS X App Store arrives, it can't be
too far off.

I seem to remember seeing somewhere (Macworld?) that they were looking at January 2011, but that seems pretty fast. Needless to say I am not eagerly anticipating it!

Tina

--

iMac 20" USB 2 1.25GHz G4 2GB RAM GeForce FX 5200 Ultra 64MB DDR OS 10.4.11

Power Mac June 04 2GHz G5DP 8GB RAM GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL 256MB OS 10.5.8 23" CD

PowerBook G4 15" HiRes DLSD 1.67GHz G4 2GB RAM Radeon 9700 128MB DDR OS 10.5.8