My Powermac 2.5 Quad recently shut itself down while I was using it. I was alarmed until I looked at my APC Back-UPS XS 1000 (a relatively expensive battery backup unit) and discovered that it was switching itself from line power to battery power and back for no reason. Three other identical battery backup units in the office were operating normally so I did not suspect bad electrical power. After the G5 was moved onto another battery backup the problem went away.

If you are hooked up to a battery backup unit be sure to check to see if it is operating correctly.