On Jan 20, 2011, at 7:04 PM, Jane, (Portland, OR) wrote:

> My husband uses a G4 PowerBook running 10.4.11. I have a new iMac
> (10.6.6) and a MacBook Pro (10.5.x). He is NOT computer literate and
> needs help from time to time. Some of those times, I am not at home to
> take care of the problems. I know there is software out there --
> preferably free--- that will enable me to fix his computer no matter
> where I am.

Both new macs will let you use Screen Sharing to connect to his computer; he'll
have to install a vnc server VINE server is free and easy.

See: <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10329842-263.html>

The biggest issue is connecting to HIS computer on your home network, which
presumably goes through some sort of wired or wireless router. You need to set
up some stuff in advance:

Use DynDNS to give your home network connection a 'permanent' IP address.
<http://www.dyndns.com/> follow the 'free domain name' link.

Set up NAT routing in your home router to his computer, whichinvolves giving
his computer a fixed ip address in the router's range, and forwarding the VNC
ports to that computer. Most home routers (including Airport) make this
relatively easy, see your documentation.

Simple home networking lesson:

A 'router' is a device that connects local area networks (LAN's) together into
a 'network of networks'. The 'Internet' is a very large such network of
networks. Computers on the same LAN can talk directly to each other; computers
on different LAN's need to talk through a router. This was really the key
insight that made the internet possible.

Virtually all home networks consist of an external router (cable/dsl modem,
Fiber router for those lucky, lucky few to live in FiOS territory) that
possesses the externally visible IP address of your internet connection.

On the 'inside the house' side of the network you have a private, non-routing
IP address range, your own LAN. Typically they're either 192.168.n.n or
10.n.n.n I've seen both in use by various brands of wired and wireless routers.

You CANNOT access an address in these ranges from outside that address range;
they're defined as 'non-routable' Routers reject any request to connect to
those addresses.

This poses a problem.

If you have a large private network, and, say, a web server or a computer
needing a VNC connection how do you bridge that unbridgeable gap between the
single external IP address and the internal address given to that computer.

This is what Network Address Translation (NAT) does.

The router has the smarts to say "I have a request on my public IP address for
Port 80 connection (which is the http default port). I need to know which ip
addresson my internal LAN handles these requests." It looks though it's table
of port and IP addresses and if one address is set as the pone that responds to
port 80 requests, then the connection is forwarded to that internal IP address.

The requestor on the outside has no idea that it's talking to a computer on the
internal LAN, all it ever sees is the external IP address.

This is managed by giving the internal computer a fixed address on the internal
LAN, then listing that address for 'port 80' requests (for a web server. Foir
VNC it's port 5900)

See:

<http://www.realvnc.com/support/portforward.html>

--