On Jan 23, 2011, at 9:34 AM, Ashgrove wrote:

On Jan 22, 3:36 pm, John Carmonne <carmo...@aol.com> wrote:
If I use an external 3.5 7200 RPM via Firewire 400 will I gain speed over the internal HDD 4200 RPM in my Mac Mini?

In my personal experience, my friend, the speed and size of the
external drive more than make up for the slower bus (FW vs. ATA). I
have used an eMac with an external FW drive for centuries now, and it
beats the internal 80GB HDD every time.

An internal 7200RP or SSD HDD would definitely speed things up, but
they are not cost effective. I would go FW. Just my 2 cents.

Best,

Felix\

After a bunch of testing speeds not only is the external 7200 IDE FW 400 HDD making the 1.25 Mini run faster than the ATA 4200 but Tiger is about 25% faster than Leopard.

JOHN CARMONNE
Yorba Linda USA
From TiBook 867