On Jan 15, 2011, at 8:14 AM, Al Poulin wrote:

On Jan 14, 10:16 pm, James Therrault <jetas...@netzero.com> wrote:
I'm finally making the move into the modern age and am asking for
suggestions as to 2.5" external enclosures to copy the contents of my
current machine, (G4 Gigabit), to a 500GB SATA drive. I eventually
will use the 500GB as the boot drive in the new machine, late '09 Mac
Mini.

Start by looking at OWC, and then compare the offerings of other
vendors.  Consider which interfaces you would use now and possibly
later with newer machines.
http://www.macsales.com/
Their telephone representatives are very helpful too.

That's where I got the 500GB 7,200 rpm bare drive. Then I ordered another drive in a case and finally last night cloned the contents of the new-to-me Mini onto it. And yes, it will boot fine with a USB cable.

Now, I need to get the bare drive into the Mini but am not patient enough to do it myself so I'm lookin for a certified Apple tech in the Austin area. Then I'll clone the contents of the external drive to it.

One thing I must say... Don't let ten years pass between major hardware upgrades! I expect that it will take several months for me to get up-to-speed with all the new stuff. In the meantime, Rosetta will be saving my butt!

Thanks to all who responded.

JT