On Jan 15, 2011, at 2:26 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

On Jan 14, 2011, at 8:16 PM, James Therrault wrote:

I'm finally making the move into the modern age and am asking for suggestions as to 2.5" external enclosures to copy the contents of my current machine, (G4 Gigabit), to a 500GB SATA drive. I eventually will use the 500GB as the boot drive in the new machine, late '09 Mac Mini.

Re-install OSX in the Mini, and where it asks you if you want to transfer your information from another Mac, select that, and it walks you through setting up FW target mode. This is the most painless way of doing it; I've done two PPC -> Intel migrations that way.

Didn't have to do that. Just connected a firewire cable to each machine and started the old G4 in target mode and it's drive appeared right on the Mini's desktop.

Kewel!!!

JT