running 9.2.2 with the Sonnet upgrade:

there are two programs on the install CD that come with the processor
upgrade.  the instructions say to first update firmware, which you
don't need to do since you're already at 4.2.8.

then it says to run the program on the CD, under OS X,  for OS X
install.  a couple of pages later, it says to run the other program
under 9.2.  i didn't discover this part of the instructions until i
had changed the processor and tried to boot to 9.2, and the boot
sequence stalled.  then i RTFM and found the OS9 part.  i put the old
processor back in, booted 9.2, ran the OS 9 install program, then put
the new processor back in, and all is well.

what the OS 9 install program does is put two extensions in the
extensions folder:   Sonnet Processor Upgrade (with a space before the
S so it loads first) and an updated version of Apple CPU Plugins,
which is in the Multiprocessing folder within Extensions folder.

then just for fun, i wanted to boot from an OS 9.2.2 install disk.  of
course it didn't boot properly due to the lack of those extensions
(actually it's when i was trying to get it to boot that i realized
that the installer must have installed extensions for the booting to
work).  i readily found the "Sonnet" extension  but i needed to
contact Sonnet tech support (who repllied within an hour!) to learn
about the updated CPU plugin extension.  so, i burned a new 9.2.2
install disk with Toast 5.1 after adding the sonnet extension and
replacing the old CPU extension.  boots fine--except i'm not sure when
i'll ever need!

no, i don't have enough to do with my time!!