> Whether you use the LBA48 technique, or buy a PCI ATA/IDE card, the
> extra space still hasn't been mapped out by the OS. I believe it all
> has to be linked together at the initial partitioning time as well.

A PCI card necessarily models the HD as SCSI.

There have been these versions of the same theme: U/33, U/66, U/100 and
U/133.

All U/133 cards came with LBA48 as standard.

A few U/100 cards later came with updated firmware for LBA48.

No new firmware which supported LBA48 was released for U/66 or U/33 cards
as there were firmware licensing issues which effectively prevented it.

Remember: LBA48 is not magic.

With pre-LBA48, there is but one command packet sent to the controller.

With LBA48 there are one or two packets: if one packet, it is presumed to
be below the line and the card uses the value as the block address; with
two packets it is assumed to be above the line and the card uses the
logical sum of the two values as the above-the-line block address.

The "SCSIDE" solution, in which the drive's physical connection to the
host is indeed SCSI, also added LBA48, and quite a while before the PCI
cards came out.

The same principle was used: if the SCSI command specifies an
above-the-line address, the "SCSIDE" firmware sends two packets to the
drive.

Implicit in all this is the initial call to the drive is one to read the
device's characteristics.

If the card supports LBA48, then it knows it must use two packets for
above-the-line requests, but that one packet is sufficient for
below-the-line requests.

As commands exist to read multiple bocks, you can see that a request to
read multiple blocks on a partition which spans the line could get into
trouble.