On Apr 15, 2011, at 12:00 PM, Dan Ziegler wrote:

> I think I have found (at least one) culprit. Looking in the
> CrashReporter log,
> Process:         DashboardClient [1171]
> Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
> Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x000000000003ffc0
> Crashed Thread:  0
>
> Plus whenever I start Dashboard it triggers the whole speed dump
> problem.
>
> Also Bruce I think it needs RAM as well. With Safari and Firefox open
> with 4 tabs, mail open, and textedit, I am down to 18 MB of free RAM!
>
> So besides some more RAM what could be wrong w/ Dashboard?

It might just be the low RAM available causing this, but what I'd do is start
by deleting all the active dashboard widgets, then re-adding them one at a
time.

If you can't even start dashboard to do this, delete the file
Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dashboard.plist then in a
terminal window type:

killall dock

to force the Dock to quit and restart.

Then add the widgets you use back in one at a time until it breaks. then you
found the offending one.

If you don't use the Dashboard at all, you can follow the directions here to
stop it from running:

<http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20050723123302403>

--
Bruce Johnson