On Apr 26, 2011, at 1:34 PM, Tina K. wrote:

> It doesn't have to be complex. Using a random generator such as RPG and
> an *encrypted* password repository such as Pastor, PasswordWallet,
> Keychain Access, 1Password, etc… provides good security without having
> to resort to memorizing or writing them down.

Sigh. Never EVER EVER rely on a single encrypted source to remember important
stuff like passwords. A plain text (as in written on a piece of paper!) backup,
locked securely away is important. What if something happens to the encrypted
file? You're SOL. (and that goes 10X higher if you're a compamny and it was the
root password for the 'Accounts Receivable' DB.)

"Hey look! 8-) it's sn0w1ng Macintoshes outside!" is AS SECURE as anything RPG
will generate, because while it's true that a truly random password string is
more secure against cracking, the passphrase chosen is secure enough. And more
importantly, I NEVER need to write it down....

The bestest, mostest random password RPG will ever give you is USELESS if the
method of cracking in doesn't involve cracking the password, but a social
engineering attack, a MITM attack, a keylogger, etc.

Far too many people fetishize long, random passwords as teh shizzle of computer
security, when they're not (and there's not a whole lot of evidence that
they've been all that good at preventing compromise in the first place, mainly
because of the human element).

This is why banks (among other reasons like people using 'password' for their
passwords) have moved to multi-factor authentication. you need to enter your
username/password AND the little picture needs to be correct; or they use RSA
dongles. (themselves hacked at a higher level. RSA *claims* that SecurID is ok,
but I'll wager there was a mass need for pants dry-cleaning
there...<http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2011/03/rsa_security_in.html>)

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona