Thanks, Dan, for taking the time to respond. In answer to your
questions:

On Apr 29, 3:38 pm, Dan <dantear...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you have any InputManagers installed?  If so remove them then
> retry the Startup Disk panel.

No.

> What technique(s) did you use to reset the nvram?

Unpluged all cables including the power connector. Waited several
seconds.
Reinserted the power plug while holding the power button depressed.
Released the power button, reattached the cables and pressed the power
button again to start normally which it did with no resolution of the
problem.
I read somewhere that this also resets the PRAM. Is that correct?

> >I would reinstall the 10.5 System
>
> Waste of time. You already said that 10.5 is working!

I tried anyway but that is one of the things what doesn't work.

> Try booting into Safe Mode (shift key held down) then trying the
> Startup Disk panel.

Still no start volumes in the startup disk panel as before. What do I
do next?

> Can you boot from an external drive?

No. I still have the 10.4/9.2.2 HD that I recently replaced which
always booted normally. I connected it with a docking station. It
mounts but when I try to boot from it, the reaction is the same as
from the internal HD.

> ...One possibility is that the boot stuff in the partition map is
> foo.  If that's the case, then the fix is to clone your partitions to
> an external, boot on an external, erase and re-partition the
> internal, then reload them from the clones.

OK, I will give it a try as soon as time permits and I can round up a
spare HD. I may have to buy an new one.

Thanks again.

Gary