On May 1, 8:15 pm, Dan <dantear...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does the machine bong when you boot it, or does it beep or make some
> other sound?

It bongs normally.

> Try doing a normal PRAM reset -- boot holding down cmd opt p r, until
> it bongs 3 times.

No change. Nothing that I have tried so far has corrected the
situation that no start volumes appear in the startup control panel or
that I can't boot from the second partition on the hard drive.

> I'm thinking maybe the partition map is foo on that drive.  But then
> it should find usable volumes on an external drive... :\
>
> If zapping the pram as described above doesn't fix it, I'm thinking
> you have some other hardware issue.  Might be time to open it up and
> disconnect the HD altogether -- see if you can then boot from an
> external etc.

I guess it is time for some drastic measures although the situation is
not critical (although it bugs me that I can't fix it). I just need
the 10.4/9.2.2 partition for grandchildren to play old games. Maybe I
can wean then away with some new games. I will let you know if I find
a solution .

Thanks again,

Gary