----------  Original message  ----------
Subject: Re: G5 1.8 Single Processor Performance
Date:    Tuesday, 03. May 2011
From:    Alexander Gomes <alexcomputersolut...@gmail.com>
To:      g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
> AFAIK, the G5 isn't socketed, so no CPU upgrades there.

Sure it is!

The G5 uses the same-looking 300-pin connector known from the G4 Power Macs.
This connector was introduced with the Power Mac G4 “AGP Graphics” but changed
pin assignment several times.

It may well be that your logic board is perfectly able to handle a faster G5
processor module from the same series without any modification. I know for sure
for the “Late 2005” modules, because the single-socket logic board for the G5
2.0 GHz Dual Core (IBM PowerPC 970MP) is exactly the same as for the 2.3 GHz
Dual Core G5. The system bus has a 2:1 speed ratio with the processor, so it
can handle a 1.0 GHz system bus speed as well as 1.15 GHz.

As for the processor module connector:
G4's (page 18):
http://developer.apple.com/legacy/mac/library/documentation/Hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-G4/PowerMacG4/PowerMacG4.pdf
G5's (page 22):
http://developer.apple.com/legacy/mac/library/documentation/Hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-G5/PowerMacG5/PowerMacG5.pdf

Dispite this little chance to an upgrade – I have a good idea as to WHY there
never was a G5 processor upgrade: I've once disassembled my 2.0 GHz Dual-Core
G5 due to a faulty PSU (power supply unit) and it isn't an easy task to do, at
least not for the ordinary Mac user.

My 2¢,
Andreas  aka  Mac User #330250