On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Dan <dantear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...A side note:  Many of the chip engineers I've spoken with regard Intel's
> "3D" announcement as simply hype.

The point of view over at AnandTech seems to be different IMO.
www.anandtech.com/show/4313/intel-announces-first-22nm-3d-trigate-transistors-shipping-in-2h-2011

My take after reading the AnandTech piece is that what Intel announced
was about a manufacturing process more than about transistor
technology per se. The changes Intel is implementing under the
marketing label of "3D" do seem to be anything new or surprising to
the industry. The underlying theory behind it appears to be well
understood.

What makes it arguably newsworthy is that Intel apparently has found a
way to turn the theory into a product feature. Intel is not just doing
this as a lab trick but as a large scale manufacturing process.

And while it is probably more evolutionary than revolutionary, it will
still result in either increased performance or using less power in
the chips it is applied to. No, it won't in itself do anything to
displace ARM. But it is still an impressive improvement.

There are certainly things that Intel does that I would consider less
special. Their semiconductor manufacturing is NOT one of these. One of
the many reasons why it may happen that Apple would ask Intel to build
ARM chips for them is simply because Intel is very good at
semiconductor manufacturing. My understanding is that they have been a
generation ahead of the rest of the industry in terms of scale for
quite a while now. And I don't see anyone else catching up to them any
time soon.

FWIW,

-irrational john