> > So I assume I am not selecting and saving   the proper header text info for
> > graphic reader to open the file  properly. If I drop the entire file into
> > PS
> > still get the same  message. Perhaps I need to add some kind of text marker
>to ID
> > the file  as jpeg? --glen
> >

> Save the file from the start of /9j/ to  the end before the
> ------NextPart--- etc.
>
> Bring up command prompt,  and do:
>
> openssl base64 -d -in <infile> -out  <outfile>
>
> And it will convert the file to an actual jpg from a  base64 encoded
> attachment.  Should do the trick!
>
> --
> Brielle Bruns
> The Summit Open Source Development  Group
> http://www.sosdg.org    /      http://www.ahbl.org

OK, by <infile> I assume you mean something like
</Users/userone/Desktop/attachment6a.txt> without the brackets.? And <outfile>
 would be something like </Users/userone/Desktop/attachment6a.jpg>  without the
brackets?

And the commands are in Terminal? As you may perceive  I am not an experienced
Terminal user. But this is very good info and if I can get it right I may be
very useful for future problems. Wow, great to now the Unix shells of OS X can
do so much that most of us just don't know about.

As far as this specific problem, I have found that an old  version of Suffix
Expander will sort through all the garbage and decode MOST of the base64
attachments (.pdf's and jpg's) -- but not ALL.

The memorial program is on track to be printed on time and all the mission
critical info is at hand.

Thanks for all who replied: Graphic Converter --great program did not help in
this odd circumstance.  All who responded on of off list with the need to
decode
was correct. How to decode will be a good learning experience for me. I will
pursue it. Great list! --glen