----- "Bruce Johnson" <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu> wrote:

> On May 9, 2011, at 12:06 PM, schaf...@comcast.net wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know if it's time to get worried about security? It
> almost sounds like it only works on Intel, like one speech recognition
> program. Or is it just a scare tactic from the Anti-virus
> establishment?
>
> Two things.
>
> 1) Go, right now, and uncheck the box in Safari's General preferences
> 'Open "safe" files after downloading'. This is unnecessary, and will
> ensure that nothing can get installed sneakily on your computer. This
> should be off by default...in fact, it shouldn't exist at all, imo.

Safari quit working on both of my Tiger PMs (G4 and G5) one by one.  Firefox
has been bulletproof in operation.  I have the security settings as high as
they go but there's no setting for "opening safe files after downloading".  FF
promises to "warn me when sites try to install add-ons".  But I worry most
about Java and Flash, mainly Flash.

Another concern is that after my router bit the dust, I've been connected
directly to the Comcast modem.  This works for now as the G5 is down with a bad
PS.  This makes me nervous as hell.  But it functions so much better now with
2.7MB/sec (21.6Mb/sec) peak d/l speeds, more than double what I was getting.
Am I being stupid?

If yes, is Airport Extreme the best way to go?  I currently have no need for
WiFi.

All comments welcome!

> 2) "Wolf!" "Wolf!" <http://daringfireball.net/2011/05/wolf>

I SO hope you're right, Bruce!